- Demonstrate understanding of the concepts, structure and design of operating Systems
- Demonstrate understanding of operating system design and its impact on application system design and performance
- Demonstrate competence in recognizing and using operating system features.
- Operating systems concepts and overview: Historical perspective, types of operating systems, architecture of OSs.
- Process Management: processes and threads, process creation, synchronization (mutual exclusion, Semaphores, Monitors) and communication;
- Processor scheduling; Deadlock prevention, avoidance and recovery.
- Memory management: Main Memory Management, Virtual Memory Management (swapping, paging, segmentation and page-replacement algorithms);
- File system structure and implementation;
- Input Output systems and device management;
- Protection and security;
- Hands on study of the system call/end user interface of an industry standard operating system e.g. Linux: programming with process, File and I/O system calls, shell commands and scripts.
1. Course Meeting Time:
- 07am to 10am - Location: B3.502
- 01pm to 04pm - Location: A5.404A
- 07am to 10am - Location: A5.404B
- 01pm to 04pm - Location: B3.401
2. Instructor: Đoàn Duy Bình firstname.lastname@example.org
3. On-going Assessment:
- Labs: 10% (Linux)
- Presentation : 10%
- Midterms: 20% (Multiple-choise)
- Final Exam: 60% (Multiple-choise or Paper)